Sunday, March 9, 2008

Update on what I’m up to

One of the things I wanted to do most in my time here was live with a family somewhere rural. My two stated reasons for being out here in the Northern tip of Southern Bolivar, are 1) to provide the community with some protection from army & paramilitary violence through the presence of an international and 2) to research the effects of Oil Palm monocultures on people’s access to land. The group I´m accompanying get followed to meetings by a paramilitary informer, and this area is set to grow pretty much only palm, with very little space left for food.

I can’t say that the family I’m staying with are above averagely warm and friendly for Colombians. But only because _everyone_ I meet is so enormously friendly. This family have been really welcoming. I am constantly told to feel at home, and I do. After saying at first I could stay for a month, I wondered if I should have been more vague in case I didn’t want to. But now I don’t think that’ll be a problem.

There's a son who I share a room with who is a top bloke. He's just told me he's 13, but he's the size of an 8 year old, so I may have to verify that. His sister's 12 and is still too shy to talk to me, so I will make more of an effort.

Not eating in restaurants (which give the choice or rice with cow, chicken, fish or eggs if you ask nicely) is such a bonus. As is being given fresh fruit juice several times a day.

The internet café doesn’t have firefox, and is slow beyond dial-up speed.

No comments: