Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Facebook's impact on Colombian politics

I've been here in Bogotá for over a week now. Not writing because there's not been much to report. I still don't have a long-term plan for what I'll be doing here. But short term plans involve going on a walking holiday involving 12 hours of walking uphill, stopping at some thermal baths along the way, and then a visit to Arauca where people have recently been forced off the land that's within 5km of a new oil well. Unusually this was done by the FARC rather than the paramilitaries, so my role will be more offering support and solidarity than protection.

When I first arrived, I was under the impression I understood Colombian spanish pretty well, having understood almost 100% of what our taxi driver/ guide in Cartegena said. Then on the bus ride up to Bogota, I found myself understanding pretty much 0% of what the woman next to me was saying. At one point she kept stroking her arm saying something like "caress" while I stared at her blankly. Then she motioned to my arm, repeating "caress". I was confused that she might want me to stroke her, or that it was so important to her that I stroked myself. Until eventually (slow on the uptake as usual) I realised the arm stroking referred to the watch under my sleeve. "Caress" = "¿Qué hora es?" (What's the time) if you are in the habit of not pronouncing 50% of syllables. I'm been very relieved, having got to Bogotá, that here they're not so slack.

I've moved into the team house, where everyone is quite wound up about the anti-FARC march happening on Feb 4th. It started on Facebook (and is sometimes referred to as 'The Facebook March' in the media), and has massively taken off. Obviously being against killing people, kidnapping people, and holding them in very rubbish conditions is something we'd like to get behind. But any mention that the paramilitaries here have killed far more people is not so welcome in the debate, which is of the right-wing "so you're not against terrorism then?" variety. Chávez' recent suggestion that FARC should be given political status is a big part of what has fuelled this march,

Anyway, there's a very nice cat here and I'm massively loving all this
no-air-miles tropical fruit.

No comments: